The Summer Internship is a four week immersive program where students have the opportunity to receive hands-on clinical training, shadow health professionals in a variety of patient care settings as well as develop their leadership skills through professional development workshops.
Applications Opens: January 17, 2023
Deadline: February 17, 2023
Interview notification: March 3, 2023
Programming dates: June 5-June 30 2023
Location: Various in Oakland
Time: Student must be available 8-4pm
- Shadowing in health fields such as: emergency medicine, pediatrics, orthopedics, internal medicine, public health, nursing and/or physician assistant, dentistry (depending on availability & Covid-19 updates)
- Hands-on clinical training including splinting, suturing, phlebotomy and EKG training
- 4 health certifications including CPR, first aid, mental health and advanced bleeding control
- Professional development workshops such as resume building, effective networking, and interview
- One-on-one career advising
- Life coaching sessions and team building activities
- Civic service opportunities and field trips to health institutions (depending on availability & Covid-19 updates)
- Near-peer mentorship opportunities
Frequently Asked Questions
1. What are the daily start and end times of the internship?
Answer: All interns should plan to be in attendance from 9am-4:30pm Monday through Friday (pending Covid-19 updates). In addition, interns should allot time outside of the internship to complete any required assignments. There may be days program activities extend past 4:30pm. Interns will be advised of these days in advance. Attendance is mandatory.
2. May I work or attend summer school while participating in the internship?
Answer: The internship is a full-time commitment therefore working or attending summer school concurrent with the internship is not advised or feasible. Working during the weekend or evenings may be feasible, however, interns are expected to arrive prepared on Monday with any assignments and presentation materials completed.
3. Is housing offered?
Answer: No housing is provided. The stipend may be used to pay for housing accommodations, however, stipends will be distributed upon the completion of the internship. MIMS does not provide assistance in looking for housing.
4. Are meals provided?
Answer: Meals and snacks will be provided
5. Will I be reimbursed for my transportation expenses?
Answer: Some transportation assistance will be provided but will pertain primarily to field trip days that require interns to travel to other sites. Interns should prepare their mode of transportation to and from the internship prior to the start date
6. I am having trouble uploading my resume and/or transcript. What should I do?
Answer: Make sure that you are uploading the document in a word or PDF format. If you are still unable to upload the document, please email firstname.lastname@example.org and describe the specific problem you are having.
7. Do I need to be a U.S. citizen to apply?
Answer: No. Applicants are considered regardless of their immigration status
8. Do I have to reside in the Bay Area?
Answer: All high school applicants must reside in the SF Bay Area. College students do not need to reside in the Bay Area but priority will be given to college students currently residing and/or originally from Oakland, California